Wednesday, September 17, 2014

10 Things That Happen When You're a 5th Year Senior

So I started my senior year of college.  And when I say senior year I actually mean my 5th year. You got it. I'm one of those people. To justify my position, I was a student athlete so I took a light load of classes the first couple of years of school.  But I also didn't know what I wanted to do with my life so I delayed declaring a major. These things have led me to take 5 years to graduate.  Most of the time it's normal, but sometimes these things happen:

1.  You can never again ask someone what year of school they are in.  Because what if they ask you the same question? What would I say? Oh, I'm a senior. Lies. Oh, this is my last year. What does that even mean? So most of the time in my classes I try to stray away from the generic small talk and talk about anything other than school.  Which can be really hard because it's the only thing I have in common with most of these people. 

2.  I can no longer tell people I am/was on the swim team. If I said I am on the swim team I would be lying, and if I said I was on the swim team they would ask me why I am not anymore.  And I certainly can't admit to them that this is actually my 5th year and I am retired and what not. But I'm not going to let people just assume that I quit or got kicked off. I didn't suffer through 4 years to let people think that I quit. Hellz no. 

3.  You can't flirt with every guy on campus without a ring. Now that I am 22 there are actually boys younger than me. It's weird. I'm not about to date a 21 year old boy who graduated in 2011. They feel like babies compared to me. And they are.

4.  Hearing the words, "Incoming class of 2014" makes me want to puke.  I can't believe that I go to school with people that graduated in 2014. That feels so wrong. I saw a sign in the library yesterday that had a sign with all the signatures of the incoming class of 2014. Lyke, how are they in college? Then I realized that most people in that class will graduate in 2018, or if you are a boy who will serve a mission, you will graduate in 2020?!?! UM WHAT? I feel like I am going to be dead by the time 2020 rolls around. 

5.  You see your peers graduate and you wonder why they got there but you can't seem to. I'm convinced Instagram is of the devil. It just shows me all the things that I definitely DON'T have, not excluding a diploma. You start to wonder if there is something wrong with you. Where did I go wrong in my life that college had to take me 5 years?! Okay, I'm being dramatic. But graduation was a hard time for me.

6.  People start to assume you graduated. Most people that I come into contact with think that I have graduated from college. Ha, funny story. Most of the time I have to explain to them that I have another year of school, and blah blah blah. Sometimes it's a painful process.  

7.  You think more about finances. It may not be true for everyone, but it is for me. I am constantly worrying about how I am spending my money. Because after this year, guess what? I'm not going to have a cheap BYU Insurance Plan that is paying all of my medical bills, and I'm not going to want to live in Provo where student housing is dirt cheap, and maybe I'm going to want to get a real wardrobe so I can get a real job (or maybe not).

8.  You wonder how many other people are in your same situation.  I try to look around and spot people who look like this is their 5th year of school. Not that we look different (hope not).  But I just find comfort in knowing that there are people out there that are just like me. 

9.  You get people asking you if you stuck around to find a husband. Guys, this is the worst possible thing. Please never ask me this. I'm begging. The answer is no. I wish I was graduated and out of Provo. I've been here for too long. The dating is good in Provo; lots of eligible bachelors, but that's no reason for me to hang around for another year. SO, hard pass on that one.

10.  You realize that after all the complaints you have about being a 5th year, it's actually the best decision you have ever made. Yup, ya heard. Being a 5th year is great because guess what?! I have another year to free load off of BYU and find time to figure out what I actually want to do with my life! College is supposed to be the best time of your life, and the fact that I get another year of it is awesome! So here's to my victory lap of college. #yolo  

No comments:

Post a Comment